No Products in Portable Version

wpr

No Products in Portable Version

Post by wpr »

I recently had to reload my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) and when I opened SUMo Portable, there are no products showing, with the Wizard box appearing. Since this is a portable version, where did the products that I had previously loaded go (about 160), and can I get them back without having to load each product one by one?

Thanks for any help.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: No Products in Portable Version

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Have you done the "Scan" operation first ?

wpr

Post by wpr »

The Scan operation brings in too many applications. The point of my post is that after reloading Windows 7, all of the products that had been in the SUMo Portable list disappeared from the list. Since this is a portable application, I don't think that should have happened. In most portable apps, all the settings are stored in the same folder as the executable. My reloading of the OS did not change any of the folders associated with my portable apps.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Yes because the list of products is stored in a user specific folde in OS structure => OS remaster leads to reset of SUMo content as per design.

wpr

Post by wpr »

Could you possibly tell me where the user specific folder you referenced can be found? I think having a copy of this might be very handy and time saving.

Storing such information in the OS structure seems to defeat the whole point of portable software, in my opinion.

Any chance this could be changed to put such information in the same folder as the exe file?

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\KC Softwares\SUMo

Evolution request already logged https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/view.php?id=4791

wpr

Post by wpr »

Thank you for your response and info. This should come in very handy.

One more request, if I may:

I went in and reloaded many of the programs and after selecting each program the screen returned to the very top. Since I have well over 100 programs, I then had to go to the bottom to see what needed to be added next. My request: have the screen stay where it is after a program has been added, or maybe have that program be the first showing. This change would save me, and probably most users, a lot of time.

Thanks again for your support.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

wpr wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:58 pm
Thank you for your response and info. This should come in very handy.

One more request, if I may:

I went in and reloaded many of the programs and after selecting each program the screen returned to the very top. Since I have well over 100 programs, I then had to go to the bottom to see what needed to be added next. My request: have the screen stay where it is after a program has been added, or maybe have that program be the first showing. This change would save me, and probably most users, a lot of time.

Thanks again for your support.
I'll check ! Would you please be so kind to open a feature request for this in Mantis ?

scheff

Post by scheff »

wpr wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:57 pm
Storing such information in the OS structure seems to defeat the whole point of portable software, in my opinion.

Any chance this could be changed to put such information in the same folder as the exe file?
No. If you take a closer look at portable software, you'll detect varying degrees of portability. There exist even less portable editions of portable software. It's not a black/white. And there exist much more portable editions of portable software too.

Currently, there doesn't exist such a configuration nor command line option. KC Softwares has reported the feature request. A look up shows that no decision has been taken so far on implementation policy. For implementation policy, there might be various folders meaningful. Using the current users settings could remain one option. Using the "installation directory" another one. Using a freely configurable one a third option. So I vote to make it configurable.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

That's more complex, but cetainly a better option ! Thanks for sharing your suggestion :)