False update notifications

dschulze

False update notifications

Post by dschulze » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

I get this problem frequently. SUMo tells me that a certain program has an update available. I install the latest version from the program's website, and SUMo still tells me it's outdated. I tried the trick of skipping the update for, let's say, a week. Usually that trick works. At the end of the week either there is a real update available, or the update notification disappears.

But there's one program SUMo has been bothering me about for over a month, and there have been no updates released since June 6, 2018. And at the end of the time period of skipping the update, SUMo still tells me it's outdated. Here's the program it's bothering me about now:
Rapport.JPG
Rapport.JPG (40.45 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
It's a program recommended by my bank (BMO Bank of Montreal) to prevent unauthorized "withdrawals" from my accounts, among other things. Here's the page for the program downloads:
https://www.trusteer.com/support/rappor ... tion-links

I have already seen the thread about a similar topic here:
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/forum/viewto ... =11&t=1486

Should I also file a post in the bug tracker?

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: False update notifications

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I'd suggest :
- Right click > Skip forever (if you don't want a version-spefic notification to appear)
- Right click > Ignore if you simply want the line to disappear, forever (for program you don't want to monitor)

dschulze

Post by dschulze » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:45 pm

That's not what I want though. I don't want it to ignore this program. I want it to let me know when there really is an update available. Why does it tell me there's an updated version when there isn't one?

Interestingly, SUMo only flags this program as out of date sometimes. Right at this moment it tells me the program is up to date, even though nothing was updated. But it's done that before, and then the next day it says there is an update again. (???)

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:34 pm

That's because there's too few users of this program. In your case i'd suggest "skip>1 week" in order to keep it on the list but to remove undue notification, while keeping the opportunity for a true new version to pop up.