Beta Versions / Undue notifications

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Beta Versions / Undue notifications

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

WinRAR : fixed

KillSwitch : evolution request logged here : https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/view.php?id=5781

ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

SUMo still showing WinRAR 5.80.X.0 as beta updates to 5.80.0.0, rather than being the betas preceding it.

Release order was:
5.71.1.0 Beta
5.71.2.0 Beta
5.80.1.0 Beta
5.80.2.0 Beta
5.80.3.0 Beta
5.80.4.0 Beta

A really bad version numbering scheme by WinRAR :roll:

Also noticed that similar to KillSwitch versions differing between CCE and CIS, Emsisoft Command Line Scanner (64 bits) and Emsisoft Dump Creator (64 bits) are included in both Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Emsisoft Anti-Malware with different version numbers.

Thanks again! :)

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Thanks !

WinRAR : not much I can do :-(
KillSwitch : to be filtered out in next udpdate

ilike2burnthing

Yeah, it's the fault of WinRAR for using such a bad version numbering system, thanks anyway.

The second part was about Emsisoft Command Line Scanner (64 bits) and Emsisoft Dump Creator (64 bits), sorry for the confusion.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Are they still wrong ?

ilike2burnthing

They are currently showing as needing no update in my SUMo, but searching the database online I think it's because only there's currently only one person with the Emsisoft Anti-Malware version, and that seems to fluctuate. You can see the version difference here - https://www.nsanedown.com/?request=28222227

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

OK

slycordinator

Post by slycordinator »

On my work computer, Sumo always says that there's an update available for "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (64 bits)"

This is problematic both because it's checking for a driver (which seems to be more what dumo is supposed to handle) and because the update doesn't apply to the machine.

From sumo:
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (64 bits) Intel 16.8.2.1002 Update available (17.7.0.1006)

But if I use Intel's driver support assitant https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... stant.html
it says that version 16.8.2.1002 is up-to-date.

I believe that the version 17 is applicable to Intel's 9th generation hardware.
Attachments
intel.png
intel.png (7.8 KiB) Viewed 6891 times

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

slycordinator wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 am
On my work computer, Sumo always says that there's an update available for "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (64 bits)"

This is problematic both because it's checking for a driver (which seems to be more what dumo is supposed to handle) and because the update doesn't apply to the machine.

From sumo:
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (64 bits) Intel 16.8.2.1002 Update available (17.7.0.1006)

But if I use Intel's driver support assitant https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... stant.html

In this case : right click > Skip > Forever (or Ignore)

scheff

Post by scheff »

slycordinator wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 am

From sumo:

No, your assessment isn't correct:

The Intel Driver and Support Assistant (DSA) has lost some functionality. Some of its loss has been documented (list of igrnored drivers and software as displayed close to the top of the result web page). This tool still provides the option to get more detail by clicking on a result record. Former versions of this tool then offered a more info or more details button there which no longer exists. That button was a query into Intel support database resulting on a web page within the Intel support section on the product selected, in this case https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=35125. So if you want to know such details, you'll need to lookup yourself in Intel support section instead of assumptions and your self-deceiving believe. As you can see, it doesn't mention any Intel CPU generation, only Intel SSD products. It explicitely calls any previous versions deprecated.

And as you can see, on the product page, the installation instructions and the end of life (EOL) notice (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ogies.html), this Intel software kit consists of a driver and a user interface software. That's the reason why it is reported in DUMo as well as SUMo. On this respect, it is hence not an error that SUMo is reporting it. It would be an error of SUMo of ignoring it unless you configured it to ignore!

And as you can see, there was still an error in SUMo reporting as it should not have reported version 17.7.0.1006 but instead version 17.8.0.1065. I've a 8th generation Intel Core CPU too and SUMo is reporting version 17.8.0.1065 as up to date. I don't remember since when SUMo does report so on my computers. Does SUMo still report that former version mentioned by you as the latest available update on your work computer?

And due to the design of SUMo, it may report only one further update (18.0) expected in the coming quarter, no following updates as the following updates will have a different product name (Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management [Hardware Support] Application). SUMo isn't able to recognize this announced product change and succession as an update. And it doesn't make sense to decide now if this expected update shall be recognized by some future version of SUMo as long as Intel hasn't published its version management and identification policy for that product. These can be very complicated as you already see for the Intel chipset drivers.

And BTW, when you prefer to stick with your legacy version 16.8 of that Intel product, the latest version isn't 16.8.2.1002 but instead 16.8.3.1003 as reported on the Intel product page about other available legacy versions.

So I remind you that Intel Driver and Support Assistant has a declared transparency on products to ignore as mentioned close to the top of its result page. This RST software should now or soon be included due to existing EOL notice. The assistant reports that you're running a 7th or 8th generation CPU on your work computer. Chipsets drivers are on the ignore list of this assistant. And when looking for chipset drivers in the support section, it reports me some version although it had been replaced by a more recent version on my computer. Can't remember if it came via OEM driver update or Microsoft Windows update onto my system. In short, if Intel doesn't report a more recent version available for your computer doesn't imply it hasn't released a more recent version for your computer! That's why SUMo by design doesn't rely on such unreliable manfacturer and publisher information.