Feature request: Automatic download and update of updates

flotux

Feature request: Automatic download and update of updates

Post by flotux »

Hi,

I just switched from Secunia PSI to SUMo and bought the lifetime license. I like the big list of recognized applications.

Compared to PSI Secunia I miss the function to automatically update some of the most common applications like Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Are there any plans to not only inform about updates but also download and install them automatically?

Kind regards
Florian

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Automatic download and update of updates

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Generally speaker, we've always been very reluctant to automatic download and installation, for user's security reasons (we want to keep the final decision on user's side of what's installed on his system)

But, since this is a request from many of the ex-SecuniaPSI users moving to SUMo, I may consider looking at this as an optional feature in a future release of SUMo.

flotux

Post by flotux »

Then I would recommend to make the auto-update optional.

Maybe power user would like to have control over the updates. But there a lot of light users (e.g. the mother-in-law) that like as less clicks as possible to have their PC up to date.

So it would be really great to see auto-updates in a future release. I would also be a beta user if that helps.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Good idea, thanks !

max

Post by max »

Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am
Generally speaker, we've always been very reluctant to automatic download and installation, for user's security reasons (we want to keep the final decision on user's side of what's installed on his system)

But, since this is a request from many of the ex-SecuniaPSI users moving to SUMo, I may consider looking at this as an optional feature in a future release of SUMo.
Thank you!

Thank you!

max

Post by max »

flotux wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Then I would recommend to make the auto-update optional.

Maybe power user would like to have control over the updates. But there a lot of light users (e.g. the mother-in-law) that like as less clicks as possible to have their PC up to date.

So it would be really great to see auto-updates in a future release. I would also be a beta user if that helps.
I agree.

Would even consider my Mom using SUMo then.

TM123

Post by TM123 »

In my opinion there are several problems with auto-updates (I would never switch that option on).

The 'Mother-in-law' was mentioned in this topic. If she is not interested in Software - which one does she use which has to be updated by another program?!

Most software today has an update check implemented.
Either it downloads the software itself or opens the website for the download where you can decide what you want.

But here come the problem which no software can decide - do you want or need that software.
Secunia supported the software mainly for security reasons. SUMo not.

1)
Lets check LibreOffice - which is THE actual version? 5 or 6. There are reasons to stay at 5 (you have no clue what you do - so stay conservative!)
2)
Or you bought VMware Workstation 12. There is an update for version 14. Yes but you have to pay for it. Who decides whether to install or not? Your 'mother-in-law' light-user? And additional to a license you also need a supported CPU.
3)
Some software is available as setup and as portable version. SUMo has to decide which to download. I keep for some portable versions some older version. So the old path has to be renamed.
4)
SUMo must never mix 32- and 64-bit versions. There can be reasons why I use 32 on a 64-bit computer.
5)
If I have several version of the same program on my computer then SUMo has already today problems to offer me the correct update. As long this does not work SUMo should not even think of offering that auto update option in the near future (it will cause more problems)
6)
For some software you need a special download link to download the paid and not the free version. With an external auto-update you have a chance to downgrade your software from paid to "light" (free).
7)
Some software includes only updates for a year. An Auto-Update could remove your paid (and working) version and replace it by a 14 day test version.

I could continue.

But which software does a "light-user" use and needs an external updater as SUMo?

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Very interesting feedback, thanks !!