Post by Kyle_Katarn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:58 am

You're welcome !

scheff

Re: Sumo's future

Post by scheff » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm
Do you have a precise expectation ?

All roadmap and features to come are listed there : https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/
For me, that's not an outline of the future of the product. It's just a roadmap mixing bug fixing, refactorings and planned extensions with an outline of their scheduled release horizon. By future, I expect a more abstract outline of intended policy of feature development with roughly associated schedule release horizon.

Do you want to favour
  • improvements in the user interface?
  • improvements in application detection?
  • enhancements into the direction of a mode of operation by command line without use of a graphical user interface?
  • enhancements into the direction of manageing a set of devices centrally for all the devices of a family on one local site resp. building?
  • enhancements into the direction of manageing a set of devices centrally for all the devices of a larger association or organisation across several sites and time zones?
  • increase variety of feature sets with associated user bases in varied edition?
I wish all strategies except the last two. There might be users with a different preference though.
  • How varied is the user base?
  • How may this user base be grouped?
  • Which parts of this user base might assist to give the development and implementation of feature sets and quality a push forward with which commercialization and financing options?

scheff

Post by scheff » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm
All roadmap and features to come are listed there : https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/
Can you explain the roadmap a bit?
Do I make the correct assumptions for the roadmap?
  1. As version 5.8.12 is still current, version 5.9 not yet released and still expected by 2nd March 2019, progress of implementation lets assume a release within a few days (as 26 out of 28 issues and features are already implemented) unless bugs in the beta version create further delays. Correct?
  2. Do I assume correctly that the currently 55 issues and features in the 2nd table for version 5.9, these are planed to be realized not in one release of 5.9 but intended over a set of subreleases all starting with 5.9?
  3. Do I further assume correctly that with a progress of currently 0 out of 55 issues and features already in work or implemented, the planning remains more or less unchanged in the near future but expected release date will be updated after the first release of version 5.9 as the currently expected release date is just about 16 days ahead?
  4. Do I assume correctly that short term planning (3rd table) currently means version 6.x, NOT 6.0 NOR 5.9.y and that the expected date will be changed after release of 5.9 on a date about 1 year after the release of 5.9?
  5. Do I assume correctly that long term planning (last table) currently means version z.x with z not yet decided but larger than 6 with currently 28 issues and features assigned?
    • Or may z still include 6?
    • What's the meaning of expexted date for long term planning?
    • Do you really expect realisation unto that date?
    • Or do you want provide a rough idea not to expect any realisation of those issues and features before that date and don't want to give an idea really when to expect them realised taking into account that bugs and feature requests will be added in the mean time and hence cannot yet be taken into account?
I know that replanning may happen any time concerning features and issues as well as their assignment to versions and dates. So planning is dynamic. But as you don't use automatic scheduling, this replanning happens at at least two levels with reassignment of issues and features even between releases and rescheduling of expected dates probably after releases.

I found an incomplete list of states in the search form on existing issues. It looks like an ordered list. Which states exist beyond?

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm

1. Yes, 5.9 is going to be released, at least for open beta test soon. It will be the most significant functional step since 5.0 !
2. 5.9.x mean "within the 5.9.x branch : 5.9.1, 5.9.2, ...
3. Then "short term" means : "after 5.9 branch" and potential candidate for 5.9.x by opportunity
4. Then "long term" means : later :)

Dates in the roadmap are indicated and not kept accurate - disregard.

In terms of users base :
- Most users are on the "Free" version (no surprise)
- Most users on less than 4 PCs (looking at the SUMo PRO users average number of licences)
- A few > 10 PCs

In terms of features :
- I know that the UI is outdated / old fashionned. However, I don't have much UI/UX skills and i'm using Delphi 7. Not likely to massively change in the short term, (unless some contribution happen).
- Next big feature will come with 5.9, for sysadmins (or family IT guru :-)
- After this, enhancement are expected in detection and scanning/checking speed.

scheff

Post by scheff » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:52 pm

So my understanding and assumptions on first release of version 5.9 were almost correct. There have been indications in Mantis considering the terms used for issues and features already implemented in the current beta versions of SUMO.
Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm
Dates in the roadmap are indicated and not kept accurate - disregard.
It is very common in software development that such dates are not kept accurate. Usually organisations express it also when providing some time information in their planning. Instead they use quarters instead of dates.

I didn't monitor trends. But it seems to me that you've been closer to your expectations concerning release dates in the past. On the other side major redesigns of feature adding increases risk and hence renders scheduling less reliable. I've seen that you partially postponed issues and features to a later version of 5.9 and picked up a few smaller bug fixes in order to decrease your expectation of delay and still keep important parts of feature extension.
Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm
In terms of users base :
- Most users are on the "Free" version (no surprise)
- Most users on less than 4 PCs (looking at the SUMo PRO users average number of licences)
- A few > 10 PCs
Interesting. Considering the comments on Secunia platform on their announcement of stopping PSI, I thought more users with more than 10 devices. Considering the feature set, design and undue notifications, I also didn't expect users with more than 50 devices.

Other criteria for grouping user base might be
  • the number of detected applications per device
  • the number of devices with beta software enabled
  • the number of users participating in any beta program, especially of Microsoft
  • the number of applications with less than 5 devices per device
With one important and communicated design decision of SUMO, I don't expect much reliability for applications with less than 10 devices. So there seem to be many such applications with better reliability then expected. And the numbers of users interested in beta software and those participating in beta programs provide also some hint into reliability.

Does SUMO server weight every detection equally or does it weight devices with beta software and users participating in beta programs lower for reports on devices with no beta software reporting enabled?

When you write about checking speed, do you distinguish between checking and reporting or both together?
(I can't distinguish at the user interface level, only getting some hints when looking into the log file.)

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 pm

When I mention "speed" optimisation, there are 3 aspects :
- Software detection (getting the list of program names & company as currently installed)
- Software loading (getting the list displayed with current versions)
- Software Update Check (fetching most up to date version + compare with installed versions)