create another report view

scheff

create another report view

Post by scheff » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:24 pm

I'd like to have a different view added of results found by SUMO in order to to ease understanding and overview, hence improving the user interface.

The current flat report is crowdy on my device. In standard configuration it reports much more than 500 applications although I only installed about 50 and about the same number came preinstalled. Nevertheless this flat report isn't complete because SUMO didn't detect all installed applications and it suppressed reporting some components while others are reported (not suppressed). I didn't configure to report beta versions, Microsoft software nor an ignore list. So removing these suppressions and hence increasing the report size even further will be helpful and meaningful to get a deeper picture.

For a quick understanding and a better overview of my system, a kind of hierarchical report would be helpful with much less applications reported at the top level. Some tools use a tree for presenting such reports with the possibility to view more details by expansion like in a file system browser. At such a top level, I'd like to have just the installed applications, not their components. In such a report view you can quickly see the list of applications and expand to get also the associated components without a count how often the same component is part of various applications.

The flat report allows to understand how many components are installed how often without (directly) providing the association to the parent application.

And a new configuration option would be fine too in order to switch between those 2 views.

Both views are meaningful. They serve different purposes.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: create another report view

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:58 pm

Would this view be made on "grouping by Developper" ?

scheff

Post by scheff » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:19 pm

I don't understand you. What do you mean by "grouping by developper"?

Do you mean grouping by software publisher (organisation) name?

If yes, then it is not what I mean although I also like different levels of abstraction and grouping which becomes more relevant when the data sets for a single device grow much larger (or if you want to have a view on a group of devices like all those in the same family network instead of a view on a single device only). For a more abstract grouping beyond my proposal grouping by software publisher (organisation) name is an interesting option not requiring much development effort. Often preferred is a grouping by application category like "accounting and taxation", ERP, multimedia, games, office, tools, management, and the like.

My intention in the first place is to distinguish between the application and its components and configuring that you can get a subreport of components of an application by expansion like in file system browsers (showing subdirectory content only after selecting a particular directory) and other browsers like Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

I didn't install Microsoft Office on my device as I use LibreOffice and Lyx instead. If you've Microsoft Office installed, then in this new report view you should get a sublist of its components like Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. only after expansion. (I don't know how they're reported now as I don't have it installed.) Lyx is a large open source application packing serveral open source packages together. On installation of Lyx, the administrator (or user) has to decide if he wants to install it with the large TeXLive distribution or with the former default installation of the large open source MikTeX distribution, both with hundreds of components. The component TeXLive of Lyx is a subset of the TeXLive distribution which includes several extensions needed for operation of Lyx. This subset includes the component ActiveTCL in its community edition resp. distribution with many components itself. SUMO reports several of these components while others are suppressed and summarized. When components become reported only after expansion, this ambiguity is hidden and a premature summarization or suppression is no longer needed, in contrast should become accessible by expansion. Especially for open source components, there often exist methods to update selected components even if the whole package or distribution does not yet propose an updated installer or package. So this shows that there are different views meaningful and helpful for different purposes.

On my notebook, the application "HP Support Assistant" came preinstalled. With the new report view, SUMO should report only this application, its components only after expansion. I guess that SUMO reports about 15 components with available updates and more than 30 as up to date in the default view. And when I reorder the report, it tells me that among the 15 component updates not only the older components are installed but also more than 10 of these components are installed with these updates, so reporting component parts as out of date as well as other parts of the SAME components as up to date! That's one part of checking which parts of the report are false positives. And for this check a current flat view is preferred. But for a better overview, I'd first like a hierarchical report view.

To render things a bit more complex, HP provides different means for maintenance of its computer devices. While HP Support Assistant is focusing on a single device and offering multiple device management in another mode of operation, "HP SoftPaq Download Manager" is focusing on the infrastructure to manage several devices or a complete farm or campus of devices having in common many components of HP Support Assistant (but not HP Support Assistant's user interface). In the new view, I'd see the components only after expansion and still associated to the providing application. I would not need to check if a common component is outdated in one application and up to date in another. One component of of HP SoftPaq Download Manager is "System Software Manager" which is also another product of HP. System Software Manager has the focus on a single device. This separate application is more up to date then the one distributed with HP SoftPaq Download Manager. I did not yet try if I'm able to fix this installation situation by installing the system software manager a second time with the installation path of the HP SoftPaq download manager.

So in the new view, I'd like components only reported after expansion of the installed and providing application.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:16 pm

This require some application specific processing for sure but this could make sense. Let's have it logged in our Mantis's feature request list.
Thanks !