Ignore versus Remove, what's the difference?

Orko

Ignore versus Remove, what's the difference?

Post by Orko » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:52 pm

So, what is the difference between Ignore and Remove, from what I can tell both options remove the program from SuMo's main program list, with the only apparent difference being that programs that are ignored are added to an ignore list which gives you the oppertunity to unignore a program by removing it from the ignore list.

Remove seems pretty self explanitory, but its use seems somewhat limited because the programs you remove will be added back the next time you do a scan for programs, which SuMo wants to do every time it is updated.

Ignore seems to offer better persistance because ignored programs are saved to an ignore list which can be used to filter out the ignored programs when a scan is run.

Have I got that right? This is important to me because newer versions of some programs aren't as accessible as earlier versions. One example of this is RoboForm, version 6 is fully accessible except for a couple of rarely used screens, but version 7 and 8 are much less accessible and have a bunch of features I don't want or need that does nothing for me but to clutter up the user interface. So, I use version 6 and don't want checks for updates to even be done on it.

Something else, it would be nice if there was an option to leave ignored programs in the main program list, but flagged as ignored and possibly sorted to the bottom of the list, below all the programs that have no updates available.

For clarity: A program's accessibility is an indication of how useable a program is when using a screen reader. Some programs, like SuMo, are very accessible because they expose all their controls so that the screen reader can find and read them to the visually impaired user. Other programs, like AVG anti virus, are completely inaccessible in that none of their controls are exposed, giving the impression of a completely blank screen or window.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Ignore versus Remove, what's the difference?

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

You're got it right. Some more details :

- Delete : Removes item from list. Will appear again on next scan or manually addition
- Ignore : Blacklist : this Software/company pair will never appear again, whatever the version, file path, ...
- Skip : Items remains listed but a SPECIFIC version gets no longer notified as update for a given time (1 day / week / month) or forever.

Orko

Post by Orko » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Is there a skip option that works for all future versions?

I prefer to not remove anything from the software list, but want to be able to tell SuMo not to look for updates for that particular program because for one reason or another I'm keeping the version I currently have.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Orko wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 pm
Is there a skip option that works for all future versions?

I prefer to not remove anything from the software list, but want to be able to tell SuMo not to look for updates for that particular program because for one reason or another I'm keeping the version I currently have.
no, but we have an open feature request here : https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/view.php?id=5389 for this exact need.

Orko

Post by Orko » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Oh, OK, that works for me. I know it's not an essential feature, it is just a wish.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 am

OK !