Babylon installing without permission

afgzee

Babylon installing without permission

Post by afgzee »

Just installed the latest version, released on 31st October, and Babylon installed without permission. There were 3 checkboxes on the first box which i unchecked all of them not to install this software, then another box came up with 3 or so boxes to install software, i unchecked all those, which means this software should not have installed, i did not agree to the terms to install that, yet Babylon was still installed on my system by sumo.

This is totally wrong, i've been using sumo almost since the day it was released and have installed on all my friends computers, but now if you are trying to do this sneeky things then i dont think i can continue using this software and may remove this software from all friends computers.
Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Babylon installing without permission

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

This is an issue that have not been previously reported and that deserves some investigations on my side.

We are now working with 2 new sponsors. We have integrated their installation procedure, tested them and did not experience such behavior.

I'll re-run my integration tests.
erOz

Post by erOz »

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, from the nork version.
Furthermore, ESET is detecting a potentially threat called Win32/InstallMonetizer from http://www.dlappstream.com/nsi/nsis-2.4 ... e_2778.exe
As a consequence I won't update it to the 31 October version.

I understand you need money, but it is a tricky way to do it.

Otherwise congratulations for your amazing software. I hope it will stay as such.

Kind regards.
Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Install monetizer is a safe sponsor we are now bundling.
You can either :
- accept to download (in Mbam) and decline install
- use the "lite" (no sponsor at all) link from our download page to install SUMo

The Babylon installing without permission has been reported by a few users and deserves investigation.
Since we are not "forcing" installation in our script i'd say that there's maybe a bug on the sponsor side.
I'll double check with them.

AFTER ANALYSIS : InstallMonetizer was absolutely not is cause. InstallMonetizer is a 100% clean sponsor !
vince_Mundy

Post by vince_Mundy »

Hello

This is Vince Mundy. I am the CEO of InstallMonetizer.

I can assure you that Babylon should NOT install without permission.
If it is, then there is some bug/issue happening.

Can you pls give me some more information:

- What OS are you using?
- IS there a URL where I can download the EXE that is having this issue.

Thanks in advance :)

We take these sort of issues very seriously and will fix it right away.

if you want to contact me directly pls write to vince (at) installmonetizer (dot) com.

I'll do QA and post all the finding on this forum.

We apologize for any inconvenience....

Thanks
Vince
Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Thank you Vince.
Here is SUMo_noRK download link : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo_nork.exe
vince_Mundy

Post by vince_Mundy »

Hello
This is Vince from InstallMonetizer
As promised, I wanted to give you guys an update:

We tested this exe:
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo_nork.exe

It is presenting InstallMonetizer Offer screen and only upon pressing “accept” does the offer get installed.
We tested in win XP (SP1, SP2) and win 7.

We are not able to reproduce the issue and honestly, we have never seen this issue happen from any of our testing.

I am going to conceder this issue closed... but having said that, if anyone sees this issue again, pls contact me right away (vince (at) installmonetizer (dot) com.

- Vince Mundy
Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Thank you Vince for this feedback.

No more users complaining... issue is fixed from my point of view.

AFTER ANALYSIS : InstallMonetizer was absolutely not is cause. InstallMonetizer is a 100% clean sponsor !
Apashiol

Post by Apashiol »

I have joined only in order to say that your software installed babylon, without I permission, even when I tried to refuse it installing into Firefox with FFs own dialogue.
I am disgusted about this. In fact I have tried to remove babylon from FF's search engines and it somehow avoided my deleting it through the manage search engine option to remove search engines.
To think I installed Kcleaner to detect malware!
How many people haven't bothered to register just to complain I wonder.
pcss

Post by pcss »

Sorry to say this issue is most definitely not fixed.

Installed 2.16.0.124 this morning after Sumo prompted for the upgrade; said no to absolutely everything.. ended up with Babylon installed and SweetIM as well.

Win7 x64, SP1